Geek Juice Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let the Geek Juice Flow!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bond. JAMES Bond.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Christonabun

Christonabun

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 12:37 pm

With three different Bond movies on television at the same time, seemed a good opportunity to discuss one of my favorite film series.

I own all but two of these on VHS, collection almost complete! And it only took me a year to track them all down...

So, who is "your" Bond? I'm rather partial to Lazenby and Dalton; I only wish they'd been in better films. Roger Moore can bite me.

Favorite movie? I think "From Russia With Love" hits it out of the park, while "Moonraker" was a great bonding moment with my dad, and "Goldeneye" was the first date I went on with my (now ex-) wife.

Favorite theme song? That's hard, because some of those are just ingrained in me, seemingly from birth. I love "Goldfinger" (wah WAAAAAAH WAAAaaah), and "View To a Kill" was my anthem in grade school. I'll catch shit for this, but I flippin' LOVE "The World Is Not Enough" by Garbage, even if the movie was more than enough, and garbage.

Anyway, I'm well excited to see Q make a return in "Skyfall;" while I love the realism of these new entries with Daniel Craig, the cool gadgets have been sorely missed.

Favorite Bond Girl? That's also hard, mostly because they were complete twits for the first 20-something years. That said, I am rather fond of Tiffany Case in "Diamonds Are Forever," and Kissy Suzuki in "You Only Live Twice."
I think Maryam d'Abo in "The Living Daylights" might be my favorite, though I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/christonabun
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 12:41 pm

I grew up idolizing the Sean Connery and Roger Moore Bonds, as they were the first ones I ever saw.
Back to top Go down
Dustin K.
Site Contributor
Dustin K.

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Connery hands down is my favorite. Most people my age grew up with Brosnan but I was watching the Connery Bond films before I seen any of those and grew up with that so to me that always is and will be James Bond.

Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com/
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Ranking the Bonds in terms of my most to least favorite:
1. Sean Connery
2. Roger Moore
3. Pierce Brosnan
4. Daniel Craig
5. Timothy Dalton
6. George Lazenby
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Grew up watching them on TV with my family, so Moore was probably the first I actually saw. It's nostalgic, but watching those movies again...they're kinda terrible. So, Connery over Moore, for sure. I do like the less popular guys, though, for bringing something different to the role. When I read the books, I couldn't help but picture Dalton - I think he might've been the closest to what Ian Fleming had in mind.
No one has ever recaptured the suaveness of Connery since then, but you have to admit, the man just looks BORED in the last few he was in (except "Never Say Never Again," he looked like he enjoyed that one).

Brosnan seemed like a great casting idea, but then what happened?

Lazenby gets a lot of flack, but I've never understood that. Not only is his movie one of the best, but his face is practically a caricature of what I see when I hear the name "James Bond."

Craig....is a sociopath. I wouldn't even want to be in the same room as his Bond. Forget smooth and debonair - he's a fucking assassin.
Back to top Go down
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:28 pm

I've noticed in the last 2 or so years that there's been a movement within the Bond community in that they're doing a 180 on Lazenby.

Growing up, I always remember people going "Er....oh yeah....that Lazenby one..." when From Russia With Love was brought up.

While I know now that people are being a little more kind to him, I just didn't prefer him as Bond.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:38 pm

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service," but I'm glad to hear that (I guess I don't keep up with the Bond community, haha). Honestly it's hard to judge on just one film, but I think he would've done very well in "Diamonds Are Forever," which was the next one, and the one in which Connery looks like he just wants to die.

I did get a kick out of his line at the beach when he says "I bet this never happened to the other fella."

Hehe, this is pretty funny, though!
Back to top Go down
Captain Skullsaber
Site Contributor
Captain Skullsaber

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:40 pm

I would say "live and let die" and "the man with the Golden Gun" art my two favorites as of now. ( Moore was kinda brutal in Golden Gun, slapping around girls and what not, not that i approve of that behavior, but it worked well with the situation in the movie)

"Never Say Never Again" is up there in my favorites as well, because it is basically an "elsworlds " alternate type of universe. and i dig "What If" kinda movies
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com/free-and-legit-games.html
Captain Skullsaber
Site Contributor
Captain Skullsaber

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Quote :
art my two favorites

damn my Shakespearean typos!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com/free-and-legit-games.html
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:44 pm

My Bond rankings?

1. Sean Connery
2. Daniel Craig
3. Timothy Dalton
4. Pierce Bronson
5. George lazenby
6. Roger Moore

Why is Roger Moore last? He did a great job with the character and the films he's in are some of the best of the franchise, but honestly, he was so damn old that him sleeping with these young chicks was creepy - especially in "For Your Eyes Only" where that teenage girl is trying to jump his old bones.
Back to top Go down
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:47 pm

If I recall correctly, Roger Moore admitted in interviews that by the end of his run as Bond he was uncomfortable/embarrassed with the fact that his Bond was getting all of these young girls and what not.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm

I was watching "Big Daddy" last night and there was that scene where Adam Sandler's character is confronting his ex-girlfriend about dating the old guy and he has those lines about "his saggy skin and old balls." Incidentally, any 1980s Bond girl could say that about Roger Moore.
Back to top Go down
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 6:31 pm

AlexJowski wrote:
I was watching "Big Daddy" last night and there was that scene where Adam Sandler's character is confronting his ex-girlfriend about dating the old guy and he has those lines about "his saggy skin and old balls." Incidentally, any 1980s Bond girl could say that about Roger Moore.

Bond. JAMES Bond. 450px-Roger_Moore_-_Monte-Carlo_Television_Festival

"Hello there Pussy Galore....shall we kiss?"
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Not only is that creepy on a nearly unacceptable level, but there's also the fact that these are, at their core, meant to be action movies. When the star I'm supposed to be watching do all these incredible things is actually only on screen in close ups, and looks suspiciously like a burly man in a wig every time he throws a punch, it sort of takes me out of the film. Suspect
Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Captain Skullsaber wrote:
( Moore was kinda brutal in Golden Gun, slapping around girls and what not, not that i approve of that behavior, but it worked well with the situation in the movie)
Can't remember which one at the moment, but Connery also put the smackdown on some hoes...I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny there, but it really isn't...

But yeah, I can accept that if it works in the context of the story, I suppose.

I'm getting some mixed reviews back from my friends in the UK regarding "Skyfall." It's either a rather blah action film, or the most amazing thing they've ever seen. I'm gonna go ahead and split the difference, and just assume it's somewhere in the middle.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Connery was hilarious at slappin' around them dames. In "Diamonds Are Forever" he takes a girl right out of his bed, tosses her out the hotel window and right into the pool. Shrugging the whole thing off because - it's just a woman. Bond was a hardcore misogynist.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Forget "Live and Let Die." This is the best Bond song ever.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bond. JAMES Bond. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bond. JAMES Bond.   Bond. JAMES Bond. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bond. JAMES Bond.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geek Juice Forum :: Movies-
Jump to: