HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Share | 

Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AlexJowski
Admin

PostSubject: Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

This makes me sick! That shooting in Connecticut - well someone tracked down the guy's facebook page (and it might not even be the same guy) and realized that he liked Mass Effect. So people have just been bombarding Mass Effect with hate all day.

Here is just a sample.

What happened in Connecticut is a horrible tragedy but instead of people's hearts and minds (and prayers if you're so inclined) going out to the victims and their families, people have decided to just jump on same bandwagon of hate online and point fingers at the video game industry once again.

Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 pm

These people are so ill informed they always have to point to some sort of media icon for problems just like the calorado shootings or columbine it just sickens me that they just jump to something to blame immediatly and never stop to think maybe this person was sick in the head, maybe something happened and they didn't take it right and jumped to shooting up a place cause they don't personally know how to deal with certain situations. No of course not of course it must be a video game or a movie or music or a novel that did it that seeped into this persons mind and told them to kill people. In the Calorado shootings they blamed the movie that the killer hadn't even seen for making him do it, in Columbine they blamed games like DOOM and artists like Marilyn Manson and that's fucked up thinking that some mainstream media is out there telling people to massacre and take the lives of others because theyre NOT people are just so uninformed these days and dont understand and look to place the blame on innocent companies WHY? Because theyre there and it's easy to blame. Fuck this makes me sick, it hasn't even been 24 hours and theyve started this shit.

ROBOCOP
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com/
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:13 pm

I remember when they interviewed Marilyn Manson after the Columbine shootings, and they asked him how he felt that parents were blaming his music, as the two guys who did the act listened to his music. And Marilyn pretty much said "Why are they blaming me when they *should* be looking at the parents of these kids, who apparently knew nothing about their kids and what they were up too."

I'm not a fan of Marilyn the person, but I gained a lot of respect for him after that interview.
Back to top Go down
Dustin K.
Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

“The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, “that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about Basketball Diaries?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?” The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it. The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory.

“Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.” -Roger Ebert

ROBOCOP
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com/
HemispheresX1

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:56 pm

I just finished an editorial regarding this: http://nureviewsnetwork.com/2012/12/14/video-games-worse-than-hitler-according-to-some/
I'm growing really tired of repeating myself about people automatically blaming video games. What makes the situation worse is that the shooter was wrongly identified. People are saying that Mass Effect is a factor in the shooting, even though Ryan Lanza is not the shooter. So this is one very large misunderstanding, which I'm sure not one of the accusers will correct themselves.

Check out Naturally Uncanny Reviews!
Back to top Go down
http://nureviewsnetwork.com/
Christonabun

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Slept away the day in a depression fugue, then rolled over at 8 pm to see the president crying on tv.

Immediately knew some form of media was going to be blamed, came here to see which one.

I'm going back to bed.

Captain Skullsaber
Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!   Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Well, It seems that most of everything i would have started with has already been said, for the most part

I'm pretty sure most of us can agree that whenever a tragedy like this happens all the idiots seem to come out the woodwork and start shoving there ill-informed moral compass in your face. when Americans start to get a little scared, they Instantly want to target something, usually with little or no thought behind it. I think it is a problem that is bred into our society, as we (not WE ,as in people on this thread , but the idiot populace of Average Joe America) are indoctrinated into a strange "don't question our logic" social structure that , I think, is perpetuated by not only Media outlets like FOX ( who, by the way, is the 1st news outlet to try and say that was the shooters facebook page and we should there fore judge everything on it : http://www.kptv.com/story/20335770/facebook-page-provides-glimpse-of-alleged-mall-shooter) , but also by both ends of the political spectrum ( mouthpieces like Fox ( they get mentioned twice, because they are twice as evil) and MSNBC ,as well as the middle of the road people like CNN ) instantly having a statement about Pro/Con Gun-control seemingly waiting for a tragedy such as this to happen. both sides arguments seem interchangeable, and neither actually explore the idea of how other countries with the same elements but perhaps very different laws deal with such matters...(you know , looking at other existing examples of how a society actually deals with these sorta problems, one way or the other. what are THOSE easily searchable results)

I think you can even trace this influence for complete dumb Fuckery to other American made media ,like the obvious reality TV, but even completely off the mark insulting movies like Cyber Seduction . Everyone wants to instantly say how they need to change the world RIGHT NOW, because something violent happened somewhere....that involved a white (Looking at least) kid ( yea i was raised in a city that still has one of the highest unsolved murder rates in the nation, NOLA. ) i'm starting to see a certain prerequisite for what sort of violence makes national big time news in this country.

I'm constantly amazed at how every time there is a new violent act to hit the big news media, everyone acts like Violence is this new thing that humanity has only recently acquired, and it is ALL because the opposite political party in the 2 party only paradigm is fucking it up for YOU!!! SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!! WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE DOING TO SAVE THE CHILDREN!! ...is pretty much what they start projectile vomiting at everyone. because only THEY know how things can be fixed , and a different perspective than what they have is not worth exploring . i think people are more worried about fixing the symptoms of a bad society, without even wanting to talk about what the actual problem might be
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com/free-and-legit-games.html

Mass Effect didn't hurt anybody!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geek Juice Forum :: -