Geek Juice Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let the Geek Juice Flow!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nick @ Nite

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Christonabun

Christonabun

Nick @ Nite Empty
PostSubject: Nick @ Nite   Nick @ Nite I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:13 pm

One of the best things to happen to my childhood, Nick At Nite introduced me to so much wonderful television from the 1950's and 60's that I might not have otherwise seen...I can honestly say that I was in no small way shaped by Patty Duke, Mr. Ed, and Donna Reed.

Conceived as the first "oldies network" in the mid-80's, this was the place to go for old programming (and curiously, sketch comedy - this was the first place I saw "SCTV") and they even aired old b&w movies back then. The "channel" (it's on Nickelodeon, but gets rated as its own thing) has since become more modern, and now airs sitcoms from the 90's for some reason. There has since been a new spin-off channel called "TV Land" where they moved most of the programming to, but even it is now jettisoning most of its older shows in favor of original programming. One thing both channels still do to this day, however, is a marathon centered around one show or theme. Believe it or not, Nick @ Nite pioneered this concept in 1985! So, you can thank them everytime one of your favorite shows runs for twelve hours straight.

Watching some of these old promos is a real blast of nostalgia for me; I wish they'd toy with this format again. If you're interested in seeing what it was sort of like, there's a new digital channel called "Antenna TV" here in the states that comes pretty darn close.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/christonabun
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Nick @ Nite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick @ Nite   Nick @ Nite I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm sure at some point, the execs in charge of Antenna TV will find some way to screw it up...
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Nick @ Nite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick @ Nite   Nick @ Nite I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 3:58 pm

They've already started to, actually. I still love the weird old (probably public domain) movies they air on there, though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/christonabun
Sponsored content

Nick @ Nite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nick @ Nite   Nick @ Nite I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nick @ Nite
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geek Juice Forum :: Nostalgia TV/Movies-
Jump to: