Geek Juice Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let the Geek Juice Flow!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Horror Genre

Go down 
+4
Christonabun
ChristopherWalken
AlexJowski
Wendell Parker
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wendell Parker

Wendell Parker

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:49 am

The Horror genre is one of the oldest, dating back to as far as 1910 (Frankenstein 1910). So, this is just about your opinions on anything horror related. Sure it's an overdone topic when it comes to talking about different genres in film, but with the endless amount of Horror Films, there can never be too much talk about it. Also, any Kaiju films from "Godzilla" to "Gamera" to "Gappa" are also-kinda-sorta horror related, so feel free to talk about those too.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:44 am

Been meaning to pitch in on this thread because I really like the topic of it but haven't thought of anything to say yet other than "I LOVE KAIJU!"
Back to top Go down
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 12:02 pm

I would pay good money to see a fan made (or hopefully professional made) Gamera Vs Godzilla movie.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 pm

That would be cool but I don't think Godzilla and Gamera would find anything to fight each other about. Conceivably they would probably team up together to take on a greater evil.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm hoping that now that the whole "sparkly vegans playing baseball" debacle is over, someone will come along and make vampires scary again.

I saw that Guillermo del Toro co-wrote a book, turning them back into the vicious, bloodsucking animals that they are, so maybe something good will come of that - I'll have to put it on the list.

Really, I'm waiting for a good film to come and turn the whole genre on its head, Near Dark style. I'm tired of prettyboy, masturbatory preteen fluff, and on the other end of the spectrum, I'm tired of vampire ninjas in shiny leather. I want something almost disturbingly violent, where there can be absolutely no question that it is NOT meant to be sexy. I don't want to be titillated, and I don't want to empathize with the beasts. Just put the monsters back in monster flicks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/christonabun
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 3:44 pm

I want horror films to stop catering to the tween & teen demographic and forcing a terrible swill of PG13 non-horror. I want to be scared - I want to be R-rated scared.
Back to top Go down
Kevin Daley
Site Contributor
Kevin Daley

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:13 pm

AlexJowski wrote:
I want horror films to stop catering to the tween & teen demographic and forcing a terrible swill of PG13 non-horror. I want to be scared - I want to be R-rated scared.

I'm not certain that an R-rating automatically is scary. For example, The Ring scared me way more than any of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. But for slasher movies, yeah, you really can't do a PG-13 slasher movie. The graphic violence is part of what makes a slasher movie a slasher movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com
theGerman

theGerman

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Don't know if I really need R-Rated Horrorfilms nowadays...of course if it's a slasher or something that should be graphic then it has to be an R...even though those kinda movies don't give me anything anymore. I am at a point where a horror flick only triggers something in me when there are jumpscares, if the concept is really original or if it doesn't take itself too seriously without becoming a comedy.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Oh I am so sick of jumpscares nowadays. I like honest, legitimate terror.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm

AlexJowski wrote:
Oh I am so sick of jumpscares nowadays. I like honest, legitimate terror.
Apparently you can base an entire franchise on that one lame gimmick (I'm looking at you, Paranormal Activity!), but I don't feel like these people would understand actual suspense if it bit them on the ass.

There's also the fact that, unfortunately, tastes change. Kids these days balk at The Shining for being too slow, because a shot might linger for more than 2 seconds. I personally don't see any possible way to build tension with the way films are edited these days, all jumpcuts and loud noises every minute. I guess I'm getting old, but I'd rather let something truly scary like The Exorcist worm it's way into my psyche and stick with me for weeks, than sit through 90 minutes of a Saw sequel and have forgotten everything that happened by the time I get to my car in the parking lot. These newer films just don't affect me in any significant way except to kill time.

Compare Carpenter's and Rob Zombie's Halloween - I think that sums up the differences between the "horror" flicks of now and then. God, talk about missing the damn point...
Back to top Go down
Wendell Parker

Wendell Parker

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:17 pm

I really love the Universal Monster films, so I'm still worried that they're going to remake "Creature from the Black Lagoon". It's been talked about and I'm really sick of remakes. Sure, some remakes can be good to take an old story concept and execute it in a new way. That's why the "Fly" remake was one of the best. David Cronenberg took the original concept of "The Fly" and executed it in a new way. But Hollywood has run out of originality so most horror films these days are either remakes or movies about the Paranormal. Every other horror film that's not a remake is either about ghosts or demon possession. Also, they've now remade "Silent Night, Deadly Night" and it's starring Malcolm McDowell.

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2347497/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 [/url]
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 pm

I've got no problem with a Silent Night Deadly Night remake - it's not like it was a vital part of cinematic history,, it was just a fun novelty. Though I wish they would have made Silent Night Deadly Night 2 instead with Malcom McDowell as Ricky. GARBAGE DAY!
Back to top Go down
ChristopherWalken
Site Affiliate
Site Affiliate
ChristopherWalken

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 pm

AlexJowski wrote:
I've got no problem with a Silent Night Deadly Night remake - it's not like it was a vital part of cinematic history,, it was just a fun novelty. Though I wish they would have made Silent Night Deadly Night 2 instead with Malcom McDowell as Ricky. GARBAGE DAY!

4 words: Christoper Walken as Ricky

....Heeeey! It's garbage day kiddies!
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:12 am

If they started by remaking part 2, what film would they steal half of the footage from?
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 5:58 am

Don't get me wrong...I sometimes hate myself for it. I can't stand Paranormal Activity and love classic horror movies from the 30s to the 90s, but they don't creep me out...i wish I would be old enough to have seen movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Halloween in the Theater when they came out. When I was young it was all about stuff like Sceam or I know what you did last summer etc...only after that I discovered the classics, but they didn't work for me like they would have worked if I had grown up with them. Nowadays my love for horror can be pretty random at times. I can have fun with something Asylum or Syfy did and I really dig asian flicks or Troma movies for example. I might hate Paranormal Activity, but I can't say that I hate Found Footage. Liked Movies like Lost Coast Tapes, Dino Project, Evidence, V/H/S (only parts of it) or even Grave Encounters (hated the Sequel though).
Back to top Go down
Wendell Parker

Wendell Parker

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 am

Quote :
I can't stand Paranormal Activity and love classic horror movies from the 30s to the 90s, but they don't creep me out
One recent film that genuinely creeped me out with good atmosphere and and decent scares (not all jump-scares) was "Insidious". If you haven't seen it, try turning out the lights one night and watch "Insidious".
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am

Wendell Parker wrote:
Quote :
I can't stand Paranormal Activity and love classic horror movies from the 30s to the 90s, but they don't creep me out
One recent film that genuinely creeped me out with good atmosphere and and decent scares (not all jump-scares) was "Insidious". If you haven't seen it, try turning out the lights one night and watch "Insidious".
I have watched it and to a certain point you are definitely right. Most of the time the jump scares were the ones that got me (like the picture suddenly moving or the face in the babys room), but there was also the whole atmosphere at the end where the father tries to rescue his son that really made me uneasy...good point!
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 pm

I've been doing little capsule reviews of all the Hellraiser straight-to-video sequels on Facebook (since I never saw them, and got the lot in a set for $5), and, believe it or not, there was a moment in "Deader" (film number 7) that made me very, very uneasy. I couldn't believe one of those films managed to scare me; it was a pleasant surprise. Reminded me of the first time I saw part 2 when I was 10 or so.

But yes, that is for the most part gone these days, and I miss it.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Ah, "Hellraiser 2" - still have that on VHS by the way. I loved that goofy movie.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, I have two different versions on VHS, it's a favorite. Clive mentioned on his website that he's going to revisit the cenobites in a new novel, pitting them against Harry d'Amour from Lord of Illusions...and I think I just pee'd a little thinking about it. Squeeeee!

This set cracks me up, tho - it's all five Prophecy movies (Walken-tastic) and Hellraiser 3 - 8. That's 11 movies on 2 discs for 5 dollars...had to have it.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 4:50 pm

That really sounds like an awesome collection.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

Christonabun

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 9:15 pm

The audio sounds like it's coming out of a tin can on some of them, probably due to the compression. No bonus features, either, but I expected that. It's been a nice little dip back into Barkerland though, and I found that the sequels were nowhere near as bad as I expected.

Will be on to the Prophecy flicks by next week; I'm sure you'll hear all about it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pigfarmergames

pigfarmergames

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Straight to video Hellraisers   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 4:17 am

I'm actually a big fan of the straight to video Hellraisers. Especially inferno. It's almost like David Lynch started writing them. But then again, part 3 is my favorite of the entire series. Not sure how much credibility that leaves me with
Back to top Go down
http://pigfarmergames.com
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 am

Just because I hate Inferno and I'm not a fan of part 3 doesn't make you lose credibility. Just means we've all got different tastes.
Back to top Go down
pigfarmergames

pigfarmergames

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 4:47 am

Part 3 is by no means a good movie but it carries that feeling of something you'd watch late night on HBO in the early 90s. And Inferno I saw once but I was really fucking stoned.
Back to top Go down
http://pigfarmergames.com
Sponsored content

Horror Genre Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horror Genre   Horror Genre I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horror Genre
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next