Share | 

Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AlexJowski
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Well he IS entitled to his opinion. But you're right, being in the public eye he should have phrased it better or not have expressed such an opinion at all. That trite phrase of: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," really does apply.

So has an issue with female fans? He really should have kept it to himself because having such a public opinion will affect how people act around him when he has a booth at a con, if he CAN have a booth at a con, how new fans will approach his work, how future publishers will feel about carrying the work of someone that tactless with the public, etc.

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm

I have to admit I'm bummed his art is actually good, since it's much easier to dislike someone who's a hack. Doesn't take anything away from Ex Machina but it will taint his future work for me because it'll be in the back of my mind. The amount of bitterness he has toward cosplayers I think one might have murdered his family. Pat Loika likes cosplayers still http://patloika.tumblr.com/post/35646021323/ive-been-going-to-comic-conventions-for-about-20
Back to top Go down
Kevin Daley
Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 pm

This story is all over my twitter feed today btw. The RPG community is REALLY latching onto it, which seems odd at first, but given that this sort of sexual elitism is common in the dregs of that community, it's actually something we can really relate to. Just a little surprised to see this spread so far so fast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com
Big Ninja Jim

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:36 pm

I think the biggest thing among the many, many offensive things this guy said, the thing I hate the most is the fact that he feels the need to judge people. What gives him the right? I've been a Big Guy all my life and have been picked on my entire life so I feel no need to care about Who's a geek or not. If you are you are, if you're faking it well why should I care? The fact of the matter is if these ladies took the time to create the costume that seems pretty geeky to me.
Back to top Go down
Silent Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 am

Mistress J wrote:

i completely get what you're saying. however, it's more so the fact that he goes into women's body types and their "right" to dress as certain things in addition to attacking geek cred (as well as all in the comments section of the post). Also, when you are someone of notoriety, AND make your living in comics, where females/cosplayers are a part of your paying fan base, i think it's that much more sad/irresponsible to go on a rant like this. It's also the fact that this is against female cosplayers, and not males. I get that there is much "cosplay hate" out there where people don't understand, or think it is stupid. I just can't understand ONLY spewing hate against females on it. Nor do i understand how dressing up "ruins" your geek cred against any other non-cosplaying female claiming to be a geek. It takes fucking dedication to make most of these costumes. Believe me, if you spend that much time making something, YOU KNOW YOUR SHIT. His statements really have the undertone of simple "female hate" disguised within a post of cosplay/geek cred attack.

Can't dispute a single thing you said there. Wink

Neither can I take issue with anyone being angry with the guy. I guess my approach is born of my own experiences (in denial-turned-closeted gay guy going through middle and high school in the 90's) where if I didn't take that perspective against prejudiced a-holes, I would have long since gone insane.
Back to top Go down
Mistress J
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

Silent Hunter wrote:

Can't dispute a single thing you said there. Wink

Neither can I take issue with anyone being angry with the guy. I guess my approach is born of my own experiences (in denial-turned-closeted gay guy going through middle and high school in the 90's) where if I didn't take that perspective against prejudiced a-holes, I would have long since gone insane.

mmyes, but if i blocked out jackasses like this, then i would be quite indifferent & boring on WTF. Wink
Back to top Go down
Silent Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 am

Mistress J wrote:

mmyes, but if i blocked out jackasses like this, then i would be quite indifferent & boring on WTF. Wink

Ah, yes. Professional obligations I also understand. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:07 pm

This is precisely why I don't drunk post anymore...

That's honestly what that whole rant read like, to me.

RandolphVance

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I don't think it's a drunk-post. It reads too much like a rant and it's thought out (kinda) to where it's pent-up frustration at not getting laid. His whole attitude is self-defeating and he only has himself to blame for his poor approach with women.
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/randolphsvance
Kevin Daley
Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm still trying to process how someone could be anti-woman, especially anti-woman in a traditionally male dominated hobby. I've been thinking about this for over a day now and all I can think of is how, as a kid, I kept thinking "Man, wouldn't it be great if more girls were interested in my hobbies." And here this jackass goes and bashes women, saying they are fake and that there's no way they can possibly be interested in these sorts of things.

I agree with others here: it just screams sexual frustration and a long history of dealing poorly with women. And it's sad. And this rant won't make it any better.

It's awesome that there are girls out there just as geeky as me. I appreciate every single one of them. I hope that one day, it won't be an issue any more.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 pm

You know it's not really female comic book fans he's out of touch with but comic book fans in general. He says that some are virgins (accurate enough statement) but ALL are unconfident around women... ALL of them are being preyed upon by ALL the "evil Cosplay chicks." ALL comic book fans at cons are gullible. ALL Cosplay girls are only "con-hot", his derogatory way of saying geek girls are actually ugly but ALL comic book fans are too sexually frustrated to realize that.

The guy really has a bad habit of using absolutist phrases like "ALL" or "EVERY" I hate to say it, but "Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

Granted, he does take back some of the uses of all by begrudgingly admitting that maybe some cosplay girls are genuine in their fandom, but he never takes back his general statement of ALL comic book fans are sexually frustrated losers that want to bang fake cosplay gals. To me, it sounds like the rantings of someone who doesn't know anything about comic book fans or geeks in general just building up hatred based on stereotypes. Has this guy even been to a con?

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 am

Not sure of his age, but not so very long ago words like "geek" and "nerd" were insults. The business he's in wasn't so glamorous, and yes, there was nary a woman to be found.

I'm only playing Devil's Advocate, not supporting/endorsing/agreeing with ANYTHING. But sometimes context can help, and this guy strikes me as someone that was picked on his whole life.

As for the drunk thing, I was sort of kidding; but that is the exact amount of vitriol that would come out (in regards to other subjects) when I was drunk ranting, and it was just as "concise." You don't have to be all like jdfno qij5oyijpoijvp zzzzzzzzzzzz to be out of your head. Neutral

Kevin Daley
Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm

I understand that he might have been picked on, but wouldn't that be a reason to be HAPPY about the rising popularity of traditionally nerdy subject matter and the growth of female participation in sad subject matter? We're getting to the stage where we can fly our geek flags proudly without worry or ridicule. That's a good thing. The only reason why it would be a bad thing would be if you wanted to remain an elitist hipster douchebag, which isn't something we should condone.
Back to top Go down
Kevin Daley
Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Kevin Daley wrote:
I understand that he might have been picked on, but wouldn't that be a reason to be HAPPY about the rising popularity of traditionally nerdy subject matter and the growth of female participation in sad subject matter? We're getting to the stage where we can fly our geek flags proudly without worry or ridicule. That's a good thing. The only reason why it would be a bad thing would be if you wanted to remain an elitist hipster douchebag, which isn't something we should condone.

Blah. I meant "said subject matter". I hate that there's no edit. Makes me look dumb when I make typos.
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:50 pm

I think what I was trying to say was that he needs to be socialized, like you would do with a skittish puppy.

The man obviously has problems with women, and that's a shame, but I guess I can sort of see how he's been able to live an isolated life free of positive influences in that regard. Now there are all these weird creatures encroaching on what he feels to be his territory...yeah, whomever said "elitist" first was dead on.

I'm making an awful lot of assumptions, here, and that isn't fair, either. I'm not familiar with the man or his work at all - it's entirely possible he's had many successful relationships. But from that first post alone, I'm sorry, but I'm going with "middle aged white male, uncomfortable in social situations, slight ego problems, with a pessimistic worldview, possibly brought on by mother issues."

Sort of sounds like a serial killer, actually.

Christonabun

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Kevin Daley wrote:
...participation in sad subject matter?
I guess my brain filled in the missing "i" on first read through - wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't point it out.

But now that you have, I like it. Makes me laugh, in the fact that it's accurate either way... Wink tongue Wink

Kevin Daley
Site Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Christonabun wrote:
Kevin Daley wrote:
...participation in sad subject matter?
I guess my brain filled in the missing "i" on first read through - wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't point it out.

But now that you have, I like it. Makes me laugh, in the fact that it's accurate either way... Wink tongue Wink

Yeah I think my brain filled in the missing "i" as well when I typed it which is why it didn't force my finger to add it. Ah well.
Back to top Go down
RandolphVance

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Christonabun wrote:

Sort of sounds like a serial killer, actually.

I kinda had that impression myself of Tony Harris.
Back to top Go down
http://facebook.com/randolphsvance
Silent Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Only semi-off topic, but it fits the theme. I just posted this on my Facebook wall, but figured I'd share it here.

This is an article for Comics Alliance about the subtle marginalization of geeks who happen to be of the female variety. Interesting article with some good points that directly address guys like Tony Harris: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/15/geek-masculinity-and-the-myth-of-the-fake-geek-girl/
Back to top Go down
Christonabun

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Ugh, why can't these geeks just get it together and be nerds like the rest of us?

Sorry, just being a dork.

But honestly, thanks for posting that article - it was not only thoughtful but thought-provoking, and sort of obvious if we just stop and think about it. You "guys" should all read that. ^

AlexJowski
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Is it shameless self-promotion to bring up the fact that there was a recent episode of Geek Juice Radio going over the topic of how girls are depicted in games and geek culture. We don't delve much into cosplay, but here's that radio episode on the topic:
http://www.geekjuicemedia.com/14/post/2012/11/girls-in-gaming-and-geek-culture.html

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:07 am

Cracked just did an article on this guy and his rant. Check it out.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-most-ridiculous-things-about-calling-out-fake-fangirls/

PostSubject: Re: Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant   

Back to top Go down

Tony Harris anti-WOMAN Cosplay Rant
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2