Geek Juice Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let the Geek Juice Flow!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PG 13 Horror

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 pm

I know that PG 13 horror gets a lot of crap for being too sanitized just to sell tickets to kids. But there have to be good horror movies out there that are rated PG13. So, what do you all think to be the best and worst of PG13 horror? I'll start with a couple quick examples.

Best:
The Sixth Sense
The Grudge (remake)

Worst:
Cursed
Boogeyman.

Certainly there are millions more.
Back to top Go down
Wendell Parker

Wendell Parker

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 am

My opinions on PG-13 Horror is that it depends on the genre. If you're going to make a Slasher Film, or any movie that wants to have brutal death scenes, then it should be R. But, PG-13 Horror can work really well. Mostly when it comes to Ghost Stories (The Ring, Insidious). You don't have to have a ton of gore, or a character using profanity every five minute to have an effective Horror Film. You can have good mood and genuinely scary movie.
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 6:19 am

Would exchange the Grudge Remake with the Ring Remake, cause I really hate the Grudge one and thought Ring did a good job. But besides that the choices are good. Too lazy right now to make my own choices...would have to look every movie up on imdb, cause we don't have PG-13 around here.
Back to top Go down
theGerman

theGerman

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 am

Man I hate not being able to edit my posts...but I just thought of something.
How was Jaws rated? Or did the Rating not exist back then? If it counts then this would probably be my Numero Uno.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 11:05 am

Jaws 1-3 were rated PG because the PG13 rating did not exist yet. jaws: the Revenge was PG13 - but that movie sucked for a million other reasons than besides the rating.
Back to top Go down
SeanCampbell

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 8:08 pm

I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head that I liked. Can something be scary in PG-13? I believe so. However, I don't think one should set out to make a PG-13 horror movie. If that's what it turns out to be, so be it, but having say a studio mandate that the theatrical version HAS to be PG-13 always seems to come out as a trainwreck.

Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes, setting out to specifically make a PG13 horror never works. There are rare times, however, where a finally crafted film just happens to be rated PG13. Some of the film's Guillermo Del Toro produced were like this. "The Orphange" is fantastic, and PG13. Recently he produced "Mama" which I haven't seen but have heard only good things about.
Back to top Go down
Wendell Parker

Wendell Parker

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Yeah, Guillermo Del Toro is one of the many filmmakers out there that prove that you dont need heavy gore or excessive jump scares to have an effective horror film. I loved the Orphanage, also loved Pan's Labyrinth. Although I didnt care that much for Dont Be Afraid of the Dark.
Back to top Go down
BigChris

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 2:56 pm

PG13 horror can be decent, when you're under 13.

On a side note Kevin Williamson needs to be stoned to death for destroying the horror genre in the late 90s. He was the Diablo Cody of his time and needs to pay for that crime.
Back to top Go down
AlexJowski
Admin
AlexJowski

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm glad that Kevin Williamson hasn't made anything since the 90s. He was a fluke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PG 13 Horror Empty
PostSubject: Re: PG 13 Horror   PG 13 Horror I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PG 13 Horror
Page 1 of 1